Sunday, February 28, 2010

Panjandrum

Panjandrum\pan-JAN-druhm\ , noun:
An important personage or pretentious official.

I can hear the drums already. He is coming.
It is thunderous as a storm. The ground rumbles. Or is it that I am shaking?
I look out the window towards the horizon, where I cannot yet see his approach. I feel a bit like Rapunzel, waiting for her prince, only I do not want to let down my hair. I do not want to be found. Or saved. I do not need to be rescued.
The space around me vibrates and I watch as picture frames fall over. I look around my room, wanting to take in everything. The simple lines of shelves and bookcases, the soft expanse of the bed, the solid stature of the desk with pen and paper and ink. The simplicity and order of everything.
The pages of a notebook flutter and shift. The mirror tilts. I look at my reflection, askew.
The day has come.

No comments:

Post a Comment