Monday, April 23, 2012

germinal


germinal JUR-muh-nl \, adjective:
being in the earliest stage of development


Being in the earliest stage of development,
I do not judge you a veteran of my heart.
You do not know the way it chimes 
When the wind blows and the sky is turning gray.
How its pipes are like brass cylinders that hang
Around the wooden center upon which they bang.

But being in the earliest stage of development
They do not bang yet. No.
The wind from the mountains has not yet sunk
Into this valley where my heart waits to be moved
Hovering above the un-mowed ground
Only the grasses sway minutely in the calmness.

In this earliest stage of us, I will not warn you
Of the gales that can not merely be called wind,
Nor of the storms, or the wailing in the night of the coyotes
That circle the foundations where I live.
For now, just listen to the hesitant hoot of the owls,
Tucked into their branches in the star-studded evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment