Wednesday, April 11, 2012

tony


tony TOH-nee \adjective;
High-toned; stylish.


The dresses in my closet wait,
Strung, suspended on the pole
Like pearls on a string that sags
In the middle like my body
Is beginning to - like women always
Warn, always warned. I've become
Someone that says, "Almost 30,"
Sad and dull-ly, as redundant
As the woodpecker that digs its
Beak into the tree - something
Like my head against the table
Of those words. I once had a dress
With a watermelon on its chest
That grew with me every year
Seemed a wondrous trick to a child
Now I look at these resting
Silent on hangers and hope
My body squeezes into them.
If they don't, I'll blame the dryer,
The cheap fabric until I have to
Face the truth - how much my rump
Now mimics the waxing moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment